BROODMARE AND STALLION PROGRAMS
BVS is proud to offer gold-standard care for broodmares, foals, and stallions at our facility. Breeding may also be done at an owner facility in limited cases. Owner facilities must be appropriately equipped for reproductive work. If you're not equipped to be a breeding facility, are new to breeding, or just don't want to spend your own nights doing mare or foal watch, here are some reasons to choose us to manage your mare or stallion:
- Our gated facility boasts large foaling stalls with mats, safe and roomy paddocks built around a lane system, custom-made breeding stocks and collection dummy, an in-house laboratory, and on-premises staff.
- Mare Packages are available for in-house foaling and/or breeding at set pricing.
- We keep watch over mares close to foaling via closed-circuit cameras, and they are checked routinely through the night. Mares nearing their due date are individually assessed each afternoon.
- Foaling should happen fast, and we are equipped to pick up signs of early labor as well as determine if there is a problem. We are generally present for foalings, but keep intervention to a minimum until we are needed. We have a foal emergency kit (including foal respirator) that is always ready.
- Foals born at Barrow Veterinary Service are given an enema and have their navels dipped shortly after birth. They are given antibody-rich plasma and IgG tested by 24 hours of age. Ability and desire to suckle are watched closely, as are their eliminations, respiratory processes, and limb stability for the first weeks of life.
- Mares in the breeding program are checked regularly with ultrasound and detailed records are kept. Foals are brought in with their dams and have their own safe, enclosed area within "nosing distance" while the mares are examined. This also gives us an opportunity to observe each foal frequently.
- We offer breeding with cool shipped or frozen semen. Frozen semen may be shipped to and stored with us for any amount of time. Breeding with frozen semen is available as an option only at our facility. Please call for details.
- We handle communication with stallion stations for the shipment of semen, receiving of shippers, breeding prep, inseminations, and pregnancy checks/embryo evaluation.
- In-house stallions are provided with an exercise program based on individual needs, and are always handled by experienced staff.
- BVS can collect and freeze stallions of any breed or discipline. (Test collections may be required.) We can store semen for you or prep it for shipping to be stored at your facility (Client provides vapor shipper). Stallion collection is done exclusively at our facility and will not be considered at client facilities.
- Stallions may stand on-site with us for the duration of a breeding season by private contract.
- Embryo transfer services can be arranged on a limited basis. Please call us for details.